- Clive and his friends brought the equipment down from their second floor apartment and set up in the room adjacent to the rec room.
- The first morning I stopped abruptly when I heard a squealing pack of rats in a room adjacent to ours.
- The filling station adjacent to the show rooms will not be disturbed during the building works.
- Their centers thus lie on the trisectors of the angles adjacent to that line.
- Example sentences
- As with most exhibitions, the adjacencies were clearly telling.
- Ironically, adjacency didn't necessarily mean accessibility.
- But we've got a lot of really nifty projects that we're looking at right now that are very entrepreneurial within our core businesses or in an appropriate adjacency, and they're fun.
Late Middle English: from Latin adjacent- 'lying near to', from adjacere, from ad- 'to' + jacere 'lie down'.
easy from Middle English:
Both easy and ease (Middle English) go back via Old French aisier to Latin adjacens ‘lying close by’, source also of adjacent (Late Middle English). Easy-peasy ‘childishly easy’ is only recorded from the 1970s. The ‘peasy’ is simply a rhyme and the childish word intensifies the sense.
Words that rhyme with adjacentcomplacent, obeisant
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.