Definition of adjutant in English:
1A military officer who acts as an administrative assistant to a senior officer: he eventually became adjutant to the commander of the tactical air force
More example sentences
- About that time Sharman became the regimental adjutant, its commanding officer's principal assistant.
- General Custer and his adjutant, Colonel Cooke, could be seen, lighting matches and candles in advance, trying to find the trail, which they succeeded in doing in a short time.
- The battalion adjutant sent me to the C Company command post by Jeep.
1.1A person’s assistant or deputy: Hoare was his adjutant in all the talks with the government
More example sentences
- The subsequent departure in the same direction of his backroom adjutants Jim and Kevin intensified the bad feeling.
- They are generally millionaires to begin with, and, in any case, they and their adjutants make a seamless transition from places of power to the media, the upper ranks of private enterprise and so forth.
2 (also adjutant stork or adjutant bird) A large black-and-white stork with a massive bill and a bare head and neck, found in India and SE Asia.
- Genus Leptoptilos, family Ciconiidae: two species
- The World Conservation Union classifies the greater adjutant stork as a ‘conservation-dependent’ species in great danger of extinction.
- But the researchers involved are quite hopeful that the simple netting technique will be a first step toward increasing the overall numbers of the greater adjutant stork.
- The man turned himself in to police in Buritam Province as they searched for him on suspicion he had killed a greater adjutant stork last week.
- Example sentences
- Adjutant- John L. Smith of Dallas is promoted to the adjutancy of the brigade.
- Due to deficiencies in mathematics, he had to spend an extra year at West Point, but his superb military skills gained him the cadet adjutancy his final year.
- He later transferred to the adjutancy of Virginia's Northern Neck and Eastern Shore with the responsibility of training the Northern District's militiamen.
Definition of adjutant in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan