Definition of admire in English:
1Regard with respect or warm approval: I admire your courage (as adjective admiring) she couldn’t help but notice his admiring glance
More example sentences
- It is good for men to respect and admire them, without expecting favours or punishments from them.
- He quite clearly loves Europe, respecting its diversity but admiring its ambitious attempt to unify.
- He was a good father, grandfather and friend and he was highly respected and admired by many.
applaud, praise, express admiration for, commend, approve of, express approval for, favour, look on with favour, think highly of, appreciate;
compliment, speak highly of, put on a pedestal
worship, adore, love, cherish, dote on, be enamoured of, be infatuated with, be taken with, be attracted to, find attractive;
informalcarry a torch for, be mad about, be crazy about, be potty about, be wild about, have a crush on, have a thing about, have a pash on, have the hots for, be soft on, take a shine to
1.1Look at (something impressive or attractive) with pleasure: we were just admiring your garden
More example sentences
- The airborne action is less fluid than the rest, but at least you get to admire the impressive scenery.
- It was hot when I woke but not so much that I couldn't enjoy a brief stroll around the garden, admiring the flowers in the sunshine.
- They are now looking forward to watching the garden blossom and admiring the fruits of their hard work.
Late 16th century: from Latin admirari, from ad- 'at' + mirari 'wonder'.
Words that rhyme with admireacquire, afire, applier, aspire, attire, ayah, backfire, barbwire, bemire, briar, buyer, byre, choir, conspire, crier, cryer, defier, denier, desire, dire, drier, dryer, dyer, enquire, entire, esquire, expire, fire, flyer, friar, fryer, Gaia, gyre, hellfire, hire, hiya, ire, Isaiah, jambalaya, Jeremiah, Josiah, Kintyre, latria, liar, lyre, Maia, Maya, Mayer, messiah, mire, misfire, Nehemiah, Obadiah, papaya, pariah, peripeteia, perspire, playa, Praia, prior, pyre, quire, replier, scryer, shire, shyer, sire, skyer, Sophia, spire, squire, supplier, Surabaya, suspire, tier, tire, transpire, trier, tumble-dryer, tyre, Uriah, via, wire, Zechariah, Zedekiah, Zephaniah
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.