1A kind of clay used as a building material: [as modifier]: adobe houses
More example sentences
- Most notably, the Pueblo Indians in the Southwest used adobe masonry to moderate weather extremes and keep their homes comfortable.
- Wild West history abounds in Mesilla, where adobe buildings dating to the 1800s are still in use as shops and galleries.
- Tombstone, an easy day trip from Tucson, does however offer one vision of Arizona's pioneer days: clapboard and adobe buildings, and, of course, re-enacted gunfights.
1.1 [count noun] A brick formed from adobe.
- Like conventional bricks, adobes are laid in a running bond - an overlapping pattern - then mortared in place with adobe mud.
- He's also introduced straw-clay bricks that can be used like lightweight adobes.
- That is not to say that it is impossible to make a good adobe without straw, but speaks of the long-standing relationship between the two materials that is as old as anyone can remember.
1.2 [count noun] US A building constructed from adobe clay or bricks.
- Eastern senators extolled the peace while Senor Villa descended on the tents & adobes of the 13th Cavalry, Columbus, New Mexico
- Stroll the main drag, Third Street, past restaurants and shops selling gifts and antiques, all housed in old adobes and low, false-fronted wood buildings.
- The market is strong, with recently built adobes starting at around $180,000.
Mid 18th century: from Spanish, from adobar 'to plaster', from Arabic aṭ-ṭūb, from al 'the' + ṭūb 'bricks'.
Words that rhyme with adobedhobi, dobe, Nairobi, obi, Robey
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.