Definition of adobo in English:
noun (plural adobos)[mass noun]
1A Filipino dish of chicken or pork stewed in vinegar, garlic, soy sauce, bay leaves, and peppercorns.
- The Philippine Embassy ladies will participate in the mela and introduce everyone to cuisine like chicken adobo, garlic rice, pancit or vegetarian and non-vegetarian noodles, Philippine chicken barbecue and other delicacies.
- In the Philippines, nipa vinegar is used to prepare chicken adobo and paksiw.
- I tried the Thai green curry, Filipino adobo and Malaysian satay; all delicious.
1.1The marinade in which adobo is cooked.
- There are three salads and then several Oriental Specialties including a Filipino adobo braised pork spare ribs.
- Meat is often marinated in a seasoning mixture known as adobo, which is made from lemon, garlic, pepper, salt, and other spices.
2 (also adobo sauce) A paste or marinade made from chillies, vinegar, herbs, and spices, used in Mexican cookery to flavour meat or fish.
- It is large enough to serve as lunch for two or three, and luxuriously flavoured with pork adobo and with chilli.
- The adobo marinade may be used to marinate raw meat for up to twenty-four hours before grilling or roasting.
- Grilled flank steak is marvelously roast-beefy, sinewy and heady with adobo spice.
Spanish, literally 'marinade'.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan