Relating to or denoting a pair of ductless glands situated above the kidneys. Each consists of a core region ( adrenal medulla) secreting adrenaline and noradrenaline, and an outer region ( adrenal cortex) secreting corticosteroids: adrenal function was normal in this group of patients
More example sentences
- Aldosterone, a steroid hormone produced in the outer layer of the adrenal cortex, promotes renal sodium retention and potassium loss.
- There remains only a limited source of female sex hormones after the menopause, by conversion of androgens secreted by the adrenal cortex.
- Epinephrine is produced and released from the adrenal medulla in the kidney (ie, endogenous).
An adrenal gland.
- Reflexologists say these areas are connected to the adrenals, pituitary glands and uterus, respectively.
- The hormone from the pituitary gland that prompts the adrenals to produce steroids is called adrenocorticotropic hormone.
- The adrenals are triangular glands that sit atop each kidney.
Words that rhyme with adrenalofficinal, penal, renal, venal
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.