(also advanced guard)
- A body of soldiers preceding and making preparations for the main body of an army.More example sentences
- The greater independence of action by military units as part of the advance guard gave the main forces greater freedom of action, enabling them to conduct maneuver to strike enemy flanks and combat service areas.
- Maintain contact with the lead company of the advance guard battalion while displacing, and report its activity.
- This small force consisted of a troop of dragoons in front, an advance guard of light infantry, a few artillery batteries, and several infantry regiments in the rear.
More definitions of advance guardDefinition of advance guard in:
- The US English dictionary