The outermost layer of the wall of a blood vessel.
- The outer layer of veins comprises the tunica adventitia.
- The arteries were most susceptible, with bruising of the intima and adventitia and separation of the media from the vessel walls.
- There is an intense inflammatory reaction concentrated primarily in the adventitia of this blood vessel with some extension into the tunica media.
- Example sentences
- Aneurysmal development is caused by weakness in the muscular tunica media and stretching of the tunica intima and adventitial layers.
- The inclusions may also be found in the adventitial cells of blood vessels.
- Intimai proliferation and adventitial thickening may further reduce the cross-sectional area of the pulmonary vascular bed.
Late 19th century: shortening of modern Latin tunica adventitia 'additional sheath'.
Definition of adventitia in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.