- A word or phrase that modifies the meaning of an adjective, verb, or other adverb, expressing manner, place, time, or degree (e.g. gently, here, now, very). Some adverbs, for example sentence adverbs, can also be used to modify whole sentences.More example sentences
- The real challenges always came with the sophisticated adjectives, the adverbs, and the intransitive verbs.
- I have been over those 406 words and carefully identified the adjectives and adverbs.
- At their best, adverbs spice up a verb or adjective.
late Middle English: from Latin adverbium, from ad- 'to' (expressing addition) + verbum 'word, verb'.
More definitions of adverbDefinition of adverb in:
- The US English dictionary