Definition of adversarial in English:
1Involving or characterized by conflict or opposition: the adversarial nature of the two-party system
More example sentences
- With shared goals, there is less reason for conflict or adversarial relationships.
- Working for opposing stations the two men relished the jokey adversarial relationship they shared - one which continues until today.
- The Convention drew up a list of principles to guide the Parliament, including the aim to move away from the adversarial nature of Westminster and towards a model based on power-sharing and public participation.
1.1 Law (Of a trial or legal proceedings) in which the parties in a dispute have the responsibility for finding and presenting evidence: an adversarial system of justice Compare with accusatorial, inquisitorial.
More example sentences
- In this tradition, a single judge both investigates and decides a case without benefit of an adversarial trial.
- We have an adversarial system where evidence needs to be tested under cross-examination, so if we're going to put somebody behind bars, you need to establish charges beyond reasonable doubt.
- If the parties fail to achieve a settlement through the collaborative law approach, the parties may then pursue adversarial court proceedings.
- Example sentences
- Go back as far as you like, you'll find (some/many) literary theorists insisting that Lies Are Good while (some/many) historians adversarially promote an ethos of Just-the-Facts.
- Eventually this pressure led in 1935 to a Parliamentary Select Committee enquiry into their case, conducted adversarially between two different systems of philosophy and treatment.
- This Tribunal is enjoined to not only be fair, but also to be quick and to act inquisitorially and not adversarially.
Words that rhyme with adversarialactuarial, aerial, areal, bursarial, commissarial, filarial, malarial, notarial, secretarial, vicarial
Definition of adversarial in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan