verb[no object] technical
Cause a spacecraft to slow down by flying through a planet’s rarefied atmosphere to produce aerodynamic drag: they were going to be aerobraking to reduce speed
More example sentences
- If the planet has an atmosphere, it can be used for aerobraking to slow down the spacecraft, and this has been done at Mars.
- Martian orbiters can use aerobraking to reduce the amount of propellant they need.
- Odyssey used the same dips into the atmosphere, known as aerobraking, to shape its orbit during the initial months after it reached Mars.
A mechanism for aerobraking.
- The cargo lander would include an aerobrake heat shield and a nuclear reactor on a robot truck.
- The aerobrake - a huge, convex disc underneath the spacecraft - was producing friction with the Martian atmosphere.
- They dive through the sun's corona at one point, and aerobrake into orbit around Jupiter.
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: aero|brake
Definition of aerobrake in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.