Definition of aerosol in English:
1A substance enclosed under pressure and released as a fine spray by means of a propellant gas.
- Ricin is a toxin derived from the beans of the castor plant, and can easily be produced as an aerosol spray or fine powder.
- This gas has long been used as a propellant in aerosol sprays and in refrigerators.
- One took out an aerosol can and began spray painting green paint over the bottom of the shutters of the shop opposite.
1.1A container holding an aerosol.
- These gases are released from aerosols, refrigeration units, insulating foams, and industrial plants.
- At night, I danced with an aerosol of spray paint in my hand.
- Such devices have been available for many years for the delivery of asthma medications in the form of small, pressurised aerosols.
1.2 Chemistry A colloidal suspension of particles dispersed in air or gas: the organisms are spread in the aerosols generated by showers
More example sentences
- Scientists measure the amount of carbon dioxide, methane, sulfur aerosols, ozone, dust, and other chemicals in ice cores.
- During the tests, aerosolized spores were captured with an aerosol sampler and suspended in a solution.
- It is also providing critical observations of atmospheric particles, called aerosols, over the ice sheets and the rest of the world.
Words that rhyme with aerosolparasol • girasol • entresol
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.