(US also esthetics)
noun[usually treated as singular]
- 1A set of principles concerned with the nature and appreciation of beauty.More example sentences
- This eternal reality may be God, it may be eternal principles of justice or aesthetics, or it may be the ultimate laws of nature.
- The politics of representation are often a detriment to the appreciation of aesthetics.
- However she admits it is necessary to have an appreciation of aesthetics as well as the technical skills.
- 1.1The branch of philosophy which deals with questions of beauty and artistic taste.More example sentences
- He constructed a system which embraces metaphysics, epistemology, philosophy of mind, aesthetics, ethics, and the meaning of life.
- It simultaneously reconstructs philosophical aesthetics, especially that of Kant and Hegel, from the perspective of modern art.
- Or is it an aesthetic philosophy as distinct from a philosophical aesthetics, such as Adorno's Aesthetic Theory?
More definitions of aestheticsDefinition of aesthetics in:
- The US English dictionary