(US also esthetics)
plural noun[usually treated as singular]
1A set of principles concerned with the nature and appreciation of beauty.
- This eternal reality may be God, it may be eternal principles of justice or aesthetics, or it may be the ultimate laws of nature.
- The politics of representation are often a detriment to the appreciation of aesthetics.
- However she admits it is necessary to have an appreciation of aesthetics as well as the technical skills.
1.1The branch of philosophy which deals with questions of beauty and artistic taste.
- He constructed a system which embraces metaphysics, epistemology, philosophy of mind, aesthetics, ethics, and the meaning of life.
- It simultaneously reconstructs philosophical aesthetics, especially that of Kant and Hegel, from the perspective of modern art.
- Or is it an aesthetic philosophy as distinct from a philosophical aesthetics, such as Adorno's Aesthetic Theory?
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: aes|thet¦ics
Definition of aesthetics in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.