1 Zoology Prolonged torpor or dormancy of an insect, fish, or amphibian during a hot or dry period.
- During winter months and aestivation periods, mussels will burrow into the substrate until only the apertures are protruding.
- By shutting down their intestinal tracts during estivation, these anurans reduce their daily energy expenditure.
- The period of aestivation is around eight months, though some experts claim that they can remain underground for more than five years.
2 Botany The arrangement of petals and sepals in a flower bud before it opens. Compare with vernation.
- Prior to the aestivation of the calyx, pairs of stamen primordia are initiated.
- Aestivation of the calyx is cochlear descending, which is a new character within Ingeae.
- Just as commonly, petal aestivation was observed to be entirely imbricate.
Definition of aestivation in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.