- Friendly, good-natured, or easy to talk to: an affable and agreeable companionMore example sentences
friendly, amiable, genial, congenial, cordial, warm, pleasant, pleasing, nice, likeable, personable, charming, agreeable, sympathetic, benevolent, benign, good-humoured, good-natured, kindly, kind, courteous, civil, gracious, approachable, accessible, amenable, sociable, outgoing, gregarious, convivial, jovial, clubbable, comradely, neighbourly, welcoming, hospitable, obliging, easy-going, informal, open, communicative, unreserved, uninhibited, natural, relaxed, easy• informal chummy, pallyBritish • informal matey, decent• rare conversable
- I have met him several times and find him an affable and friendly person, and a joy to talk politics with.
- Usually Eddington is the most affable of colleagues, friendly and very approachable.
- Johnny had a warm and affable personality and was renowned as a hard worker.
- More example sentences
- A business suit-clad man then greets them, shakes hands affably and makes them sit in comfortable chairs.
- He concurred affably, puckering his lips in thought as he pondered over the last decade's adventures.
- At first the driver and his Arab passengers chat affably enough, chatting loudly over the blaring radio.
late Middle English: via Old French from Latin affabilis, from the verb affari, from ad- 'to' + fari 'speak'.