Conducting or conducted inwards or towards something (for nerves, the central nervous system; for blood vessels, the organ supplied). The opposite of efferent.
- Cough is mediated by the interaction of sensory afferent nerves, central cough reflexes, and local axon reflexes.
- In addition, the dorsal central column of primary afferent fibers within the spinal cord appears susceptible to the inhibitory effects of hypoxia in rats.
- Sensory systems are generally presumed to convey peripheral afferent signals to the central nervous system with a high degree of fidelity.
An afferent nerve fibre or vessel.
- It may also be the site of projection of proprioceptive afferents from the respiratory muscles and chest wall.
- In addition, cholinergic afferents can be stimulated by a variety of mediators involved in allergen-induced airway inflammation.
- Muscle receptor afferents are involved in the level and timing of respiratory activity.
Mid 19th century: from Latin afferent- 'bringing towards', from the verb afferre, from ad- 'to' + ferre 'bring'.
Definition of afferent in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.