Definition of afford in English:
- We pay for the link, we pay for the computational mills, but corporations put money in too and it's got to the point where we couldn't afford to buy enough computation on our own anymore.
- They couldn't afford to buy enough wine for the whole party, so they didn't buy any at all.
- It seemed that they couldn't afford to spend enough on maintenance.
- Checking it out took three hours we couldn't afford to spare.
- I didn't have time to spare, and couldn't afford to be stalled.
- He had no time to spare and couldn't afford to fly by the target.
- The company couldn't afford to risk doing anything radical to a car responsible for 60% of its sales.
- It would be troublesome to eat with the sash covering her mouth, but it was possible to do so, and she couldn't afford to risk any of the boys seeing her face.
- I finally broke the silence with the sound of a shattered dream, saying that I couldn't afford to take a risk with my young family and all.
- The club affords the opportunity to people of all ages, male and female, to take up this healthy sport.
- But a day at the races affords the perfect opportunity to indulge in a frivolous piece of fun fashion.
- I need a new and positive mental outlook, and the new year affords an opportunity to put that into practice.
Late Old English geforthian, from ge- (prefix implying completeness) + forthian 'to further', from forth. The original sense was 'promote, perform, accomplish', later 'manage, be in a position to do'.
Old English forthian ‘to further’ lies behind afford. The original sense was ‘accomplish’, later coming to mean ‘be in a position to do’. The association with wealth is recorded from late Middle English.
Words that rhyme with affordaboard, abroad, accord, applaud, award, bawd, board, broad, chord, Claude, cord, ford, fraud, gaud, Gawd, hoard, horde, laud, lord, maraud, milord, sward, sword, toward, unawed, unexplored, unrestored, ward
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.