Definition of afforest in English:
1Convert (land) into forest, especially for commercial exploitation: a grant paid to farmers who afforest agricultural land
More example sentences
- The provision can be applied to farmers who have afforested some of their land since the beginning of the reference period and those who have disposed of land to a public authority for non agricultural use.
- These increases apply to those who afforested their lands between 1993 and 1999 and who did not qualify for the significant increases announced last year.
- The idea is to finance programmes making it possible to afforest non-arable farmland, improve the quality of forests, invest in construction of forest roads, and develop forestry farms.
1.1British historical Bring (woodland) under the jurisdiction of forest law for the purpose of hunting: a great part of the county had been afforested by Henry I
More example sentences
- Henry disafforested land that King John and Henry II had afforested. The Charter of the Forest in 1217 relaxed Forest Laws - there was no more death and mutilation for Forest offences.
- The kings, in the exercise of their right to establish hunting preserves, afforested not only the royal and the lordless woodlands but also the woods, and the lands lying between them.
- The 'afforested' areas were much more than just royal hunting grounds, however.
Early 16th century: from medieval Latin afforestare, from ad- 'to' (expressing change) + foresta 'forest'.
- Example sentences
- They may sequester carbon through ecosystem restoration, reforestation, agro-forestry, and afforestation; or they may develop substitutes for fossil fuels such as bioenergy projects.
- He argued that afforestation and expansion of forests might therefore even increase climate warming.
- Environmental monitoring in the catchment assesses fresh water impacts on the survival of juveniles including issues such as afforestation, overgrazing and climate change.
Words that rhyme with afforestflorist, forest, Forrest
Definition of afforest in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan