adjective[predic. or postpositive] Heraldry
- (Of an animal’s head) facing the observer.More example sentences
- The Viking helms and the chapel-de-fer are affronty by default; all other helms face dexter by default.
- The helm may be displayed either affronty or in profile, whichever better displays the crest.
- We have returned submissions of animals rampant affronty for exactly this reason; barring evidence of sejant erect affronty being depicted in this manner, we must return this for a redraw.
mid 16th century (as affronty): French, past participle of affronter 'to face'.
More definitions of affrontéDefinition of affronté in:
- The US English dictionary