- A piece broken off from a matzo during the Seder and put aside to be eaten at the end of the meal. It is traditionally hidden to be searched for by the children present: her little grandchildren will search the house looking for the afikomanMore example sentences
- But with more than 100 children, Korczak had to find an innovative way to have them search for the "afikoman," the hidden piece of matzo redeemed for a prize by the child who finds it.
- Three matzos are set out on the Seder table, concealed in the folds of a linen napkin or in a special matzah dekke (also known as an afikoman).
- Late in the night, after we have each told and been told, given and received the stories of emancipation, we send the children to find the hidden afikoman.
mid 19th century: from Hebrew ăp̄īqōmān, probably from Byzantine Greek epikōmion 'a revel'.
More definitions of afikomanDefinition of afikoman in:
- The US English dictionary