adverb & adjective• literary
- On fire; burning: [as predic. adjective]: the whole mill was afireMore example sentences
- White fumes rose from tear gas fired by the French, and black smoke billowed from a roadblock of burning metal drums set afire at the base gates by the loyalists.
- Crooked fingers of lightning nearly lit the sky afire, and the thunder crackled like shots from a cannon.
- My favorite Olympic torch lighting ceremony was in Barcelona, 1992, when an archer shot a flaming arrow over the altar to set it afire.
More definitions of afireDefinition of afire in:
- The US English dictionary