- Any of a class of toxic compounds produced by certain moulds found in food, which can cause liver damage and cancer.
More example sentences
- These are produced by fungi of the Aspergillus flavus group, subdivision Deuteromycotina
- Several varieties of the mould Aspergillus produce a group of carcinogens called aflatoxins, which cause liver injury and cancer.
- Excessive absorption of the naturally-occurring aflatoxin can lead to liver damage in the long term, said Food and Environmental Hygiene Department officials.
- The most potent human carcinogen known is the mycotoxin aflatoxin, and it is certainly not an artificial chemical.
1960s: from elements of the modern Latin taxonomic name (see above) + toxin.
More definitions of aflatoxinDefinition of aflatoxin in:
- The US English dictionary