- 1 [mass noun] The valuable timber of a tropical tree, resembling teak and used for furniture.More example sentences
- Timbers are also prominent: English elm for the balcony boards and, for storage, afrormosia - a hard wood with a close grain similar to teak - and contribute a warm, natural feel to the interior.
- The need for wood trim on glass boats cannot be too highly stressed, in my opinion - the result is mahogany trim in the cabin, afrormosia handrails on deck and, perhaps most important of all, a varnished afrormosia sheerstrake and capping to set off the sheer.
- They made teak and afrormosia furniture in the 'sixties to a modern design.
- 2The tree that yields afrormosia timber, occurring mainly in West Africa.
More example sentences
- Genus Pericopsis (formerly Afrormosia), family Leguminosae: several species, especially P. elata and P. laxiflora
- Four years ago, the conglomerate was awarded a massive logging concession of more than 100,000 square miles just to the south of the town, and it is now felling the forest for the precious afrormosia tree - African teak.
- Afrormosia is an economically important timber species that is considered an excellent alternative to teak.
- One such threatened species is the tropical hardwood know as afrormosia or African teak.
1920s: modern Latin, from Afro- + the related genus name Ormosia, formed irregularly from Greek hormos 'necklace' (because necklaces were strung with the seeds).