Definition of afrormosia in English:
1 [mass noun] The valuable timber of a tropical tree, resembling teak and used for furniture.
- Timbers are also prominent: English elm for the balcony boards and, for storage, afrormosia - a hard wood with a close grain similar to teak - and contribute a warm, natural feel to the interior.
- The need for wood trim on glass boats cannot be too highly stressed, in my opinion - the result is mahogany trim in the cabin, afrormosia handrails on deck and, perhaps most important of all, a varnished afrormosia sheerstrake and capping to set off the sheer.
- They made teak and afrormosia furniture in the 'sixties to a modern design.
2The tree that yields afrormosia timber, occurring mainly in West Africa.
- Genus Pericopsis (formerly Afrormosia), family Leguminosae: several species, especially P. elata and P. laxiflora
- Four years ago, the conglomerate was awarded a massive logging concession of more than 100,000 square miles just to the south of the town, and it is now felling the forest for the precious afrormosia tree - African teak.
- Afrormosia is an economically important timber species that is considered an excellent alternative to teak.
- One such threatened species is the tropical hardwood know as afrormosia or African teak.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan