- The time from noon or lunchtime to evening: I telephoned this afternoon I’ll be back at three in the afternoon she worked on Tuesday afternoonsMore example sentences
- This afternoon we have bought a new sofa, a dining table and six chairs and a sideboard!
- Most volunteers normally spend a couple of mornings, afternoons or evenings on duty each week.
- We have a group of nurses who take it in turn weekday mornings and afternoons, also one evening a week so I can go out.
adverb(afternoons) • informal Back to top
- In the afternoon; every afternoon.More example sentences
- The church will be open in the afternoons and on Sunday afternoon the church cafe will be serving refreshments.
- She works afternoons so she can be home with our son before school and I can be there when he gets home.
- She works afternoons after school then takes her homework to moms office.
exclamation• informal Back to top
More definitions of afternoonDefinition of afternoon in:
- The US English dictionary