nounBritish • trademark
- A type of heavy heat-retaining stove or range used for cooking and heating.More example sentences
- Also included in the sale is an Aga, oven, hob and fridge-freezer.
- A traditional range such as an Aga is also an option if you have the space, as they can boil water as well as supply heat for cooking.
- The impressive kitchen includes fitted maple units with an integrated dishwasher, a double oven and hob and an oil-fired Aga.
1930s: from the Swedish name (Svenskaa) A(ktiebolaget) Ga(sackumulator) 'Swedish Gas Accumulator Company', the original manufacturer.
nounchiefly • historical
- (In Muslim countries, especially under the Ottoman Empire) a military commander or official.More example sentences
- The aga was also charged of controlling all the goods and passengers to embark since they needed the beys permission
- Many of the exiled agas eventually found their ways back from Syria and took up their feudal roles, but they did not reclaim this village.
- Wealthy Turkish Agas and Beys lived in the town as well.
mid 16th century: from Turkish ağa 'master, lord', from Mongolian aqa.
More definitions of AgaDefinition of aga in:
- The US English dictionary