Definition of agamospermy in English:
noun[mass noun] Botany
Asexual reproduction in which seeds are produced from unfertilized ovules.
- Asexual seed production, agamospermy, occurs in >40 flowering plant families but is most prevalent in the grasses, Asteraceae, and Rosaceae.
- Seeds are not produced without fertilization (absence of agamospermy).
- None of these species set seed through agamospermy or autonomous self-pollination; therefore they depend entirely on pollinating agents for their reproduction.
- agamospermous adjective
- Example sentences
- Plants of A. laevigata at Scott's Grove are not agamospermous; seeds are sexually produced.
- Even though six species show a certain degree of self-compatibility, four of them present a form of late-acting self-incompatibility, and the individual of B. pubipetala is agamospermous.
- Arabis laevigata is capable of both self- and cross-fertilization and is not agamospermous.
1930s: from Greek agamos 'unmarried' + sperma 'seed'.
Definition of agamospermy in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.