Definition of agamospermy in English:
noun[mass noun] Botany
Asexual reproduction in which seeds are produced from unfertilized ovules.
- Asexual seed production, agamospermy, occurs in >40 flowering plant families but is most prevalent in the grasses, Asteraceae, and Rosaceae.
- Seeds are not produced without fertilization (absence of agamospermy).
- None of these species set seed through agamospermy or autonomous self-pollination; therefore they depend entirely on pollinating agents for their reproduction.
1930s: from Greek agamos 'unmarried' + sperma 'seed'.
- Example sentences
- Plants of A. laevigata at Scott's Grove are not agamospermous; seeds are sexually produced.
- Even though six species show a certain degree of self-compatibility, four of them present a form of late-acting self-incompatibility, and the individual of B. pubipetala is agamospermous.
- Arabis laevigata is capable of both self- and cross-fertilization and is not agamospermous.
Definition of agamospermy in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan