- A fungus with a fruiting body that resembles a mushroom, having a convex or flattened cap with gills on the underside.
More example sentences
- Order Agaricales, class Hymenomycetes, in particular the mushroom family Agaricaceae
- An agaric, such as the common field mushroom, has gills in the form of fine, radiating ‘plates’.
- Mushroom-forming fungi are referred to as ‘agarics.’
- China tops the world in producing straw mushrooms, tuckahoe, lentinus adodes, agaric, white jelly fungus and hedgehog fungus, Liu added.
late Middle English (originally denoting various bracket fungi with medicinal or other uses): from Latin agaricum, from Greek agarikon 'tree fungus'.
More definitions of agaricDefinition of agaric in:
- The US English dictionary