A fungus with a fruiting body that resembles a mushroom, having a convex or flattened cap with gills on the underside.
- Order Agaricales, class Hymenomycetes, in particular the mushroom family Agaricaceae
More example sentences
- An agaric, such as the common field mushroom, has gills in the form of fine, radiating ‘plates’.
- Mushroom-forming fungi are referred to as ‘agarics.’
- China tops the world in producing straw mushrooms, tuckahoe, lentinus adodes, agaric, white jelly fungus and hedgehog fungus, Liu added.
late Middle English (originally denoting various bracket fungi with medicinal or other uses): from Latin agaricum, from Greek agarikon 'tree fungus'.
Definition of agaric in:
- The US English dictionary