Definition of agate in English:
1An ornamental stone consisting of a hard variety of chalcedony (quartz), typically banded in appearance.
- Silica precipitated from aqueous solution at low temperatures gives cryptocrystalline varieties such as opal, jasper, chalcedony, agate, carnelian, onyx, flint, and chert.
- Slowest-forming and most beautiful of all, huge crystals of amethyst, agate, chalcedony and rock crystal grow where condensed water has managed to seep into naturally insulated rock crevices.
- My necklaces are made mainly of semiprecious stones, such as agate, quartz, amber, rock crystal and jade.
1.1 [count noun] A coloured toy marble resembling a banded gemstone.
- You have to be on your mettle to snag them agates (especially with some monster thug trying to put a lump on the back of your noggin).
- Agates, the gold standard of marbles (called aggies), came in a rainbow of subtle colors with overlaying colored patterns that made them look like beautiful, semi-precious stones.
- I do remember we played for keepsies and I won a nice collection of clearies, cat-eyes (the purple/green combos were my favorites), a few highly prized speckled eggs, aggies (agates), alleys (alabaster/marble), steelies, and even a few boulders.
Definition of agate in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan