Definition of age hardening in English:
Spontaneous hardening of a metal which occurs if it is quenched and then stored at ambient temperature or treated with mild heat.
- Most of the heat treatable alloys exhibit age hardening at room temperature after quenching, the rate and extent of such hardening varying from one alloy to another.
- Within limits, cold working the alloy between solution annealing and age hardening increases both the rate and the magnitude of the age-hardening response in wrought products.
- These methods include annealing, stress relieving, stress equalizing, solution treating and age hardening.
- Example sentences
- This complex steel is described by Humberto Raposo, the inventor, as a ‘premium melted, age-hardened alloy.’
- Forgings and hot-finished extruded products are available in the solution-annealed temper and the annealed and age-hardened temper.
- From the study on tensile deformation and fracture in these age-hardened materials, it is evident that two opposing factors must be balanced in order to attain the optimum combination of properties.
Definition of age hardening in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan