1Polemical; combative: an agonistic exchange
More example sentences
- Now, as we all know, I am not a huge fan of speculations about essential differences between the sexes, although I do get that what Tannen is saying there is that there's no real reason that political discourse must necessarily be agonistic.
- Baudrillard contends, through an adaptation of Mauss, that all systems regulate themselves through dual, agonistic movements.
- In this case, the narratives tend to have a less univocally negative or agonistic flavor and reflect both the triumphs and tribulations of an individual's life experiences.
1.1 Zoology (Of animal behaviour) associated with conflict.
- The agonistic behavior of many group-living animals, such as wintering passerines, ranges from overt aggression to more or less ritualized threat displays.
- Rank was ascertained by observation of agonistic interactions between study animals.
- In July 1997, we quantified only chases directed at other fish (some of which concluded with nips at other fish) because this was the most prevalent agonistic behavior we observed.
2 Biochemistry Relating to or acting as an agonist.
- Nicotine and the snake venom also bind these receptors with agonistic and antagonistic effects, respectively.
- It has both agonistic actions and weak opioid antagonistic activity.
- Apomorphine is also currently under study for use in the therapy of male impotence because of its dopamine agonistic effects.
- Example sentences
- Models of interference competition, therefore, do not provide a satisfying answer to the question why foragers interact agonistically in such systems.
- Clothing ideals were part of the larger social world in which social identity was agonistically nurtured and won or lost.
- Also, they will foot grasp, lip-smack, nuzzle, gently grasp one another and sit pressed together in addition to agonistically responding to strangers.
Definition of agonistic in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.