noun (plural airmen)
1A pilot or member of the crew of an aircraft, especially in an air force.
- It's the level of organization where Air Force pilots and airmen feel they're part of the same unit.
- Often as not the rest of the crew could be split to form the nucleus of a new crew, or more likely, they could be whisked away individually to fly with other crews as replacements for airmen who had been killed or wounded.
- Some 640 airmen and ground crew are joining the aircraft.
1.1A member of the RAF below commissioned rank.
- A clerk supply at No.1 Combat Communications Squadron, Richmond, she has been awarded the Lipshut Family Bursary, a scholarship offered to airmen or airwomen undertaking a degree with the view of obtaining a commission.
- Commanded by Squadron Leader Carl ‘Spike’ Jepson, The Red Arrows consists of over 100 officers and airmen drawn from throughout the RAF.
- All enquiries should be made in writing giving the full name, rank and service number, where possible, of the airman / airwoman.
1.2A member of the US air force of the lowest rank, below staff sergeant.
- If it doesn't get the volunteers to fill a growing need for recruiters, the Air Force will select airmen from other jobs to fill slots.
- I do this not to demean the contributions of the Air Force or its airmen.
- If you're at least a senior airman with three years' Air Force experience, you can submit a package.
1.3A member of the US navy whose general duties are concerned with aircraft.
- Plane captains usually are undesignated Navy airmen, meaning they haven't picked a rate or occupation specialty.
- A recruit can easily become a fireman in engineering on a frigate or just as easily direct aircraft on a carrier as an airman.
- The airman notified a tech sergeant, who then opened a panel to check the hydraulic leak.
Words that rhyme with airmanairmen, chairman, chairmen
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: air¦man
Definition of airman in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.