Definition of aitch in English:
The letter H.
- The dropping of aitches is widespread and is generally considered substandard.
- But he also drops some of his aitches, so he'll say ‘orse for horse, and that's something that doesn't usually happen in Scotland.
- To describe the noise, I've tried every combination of vowels and aitches.
- drop one's aitches
- Fail to pronounce the letter h at the beginning of words, a characteristic feature of certain dialects.Example sentences
- Are we the only ones who drop our aitches and do we really say ‘were’ instead of ` was’.
- If a policeman writes in why does he have to drop his aitches and sound gruff and arrogant?
- When the soldier speaks he drops his aitches and several other letters.
Mid 16th century: from Old French ache.
Definition of aitch in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.