(Of a door or other opening) slightly open: [as adverb]: the home help had left the window ajar [as predicative adjective]: the door to the sitting room was ajar
More example sentences
- I was in a hospital and I saw that my door was open slightly ajar.
- The one window was open and the door stood slightly ajar, yet she did not get the impression that the house was abandoned.
- There was a window that was slightly ajar, to a room with an open door, where the two ARC men were holding a conversation.
Words that rhyme with ajaraargh, Accra, afar, ah, aha, aide-mémoire, Alcazar, are, Armagh, armoire, Artois, au revoir, baa, bah, bar, barre, bazaar, beaux-arts, Bekaa, bête noire, Bihar, bizarre, blah, Bogotá, Bonnard, bra, cafard, café noir, Calabar, car, Carr, Castlebar, catarrh, Changsha, char, charr, cigar, comme ci comme ça, commissar, coup d'état, de haut en bas, devoir, Dhofar, Directoire, Du Bois, Dumas, Dunbar, éclat, embarras de choix, escritoire, fah, famille noire, far, feu de joie, film noir, foie gras, Fra, galah, gar, guar, guitar, ha, hah, ha-ha, Halacha, hurrah, hussar, huzza, insofar, Invar, jar, je ne sais quoi, ka, kala-azar, Kandahar, khimar, Khorramshahr, knar, Krasnodar, Kwa, la-di-da, lah, Lehár, Loire, ma, mama, mamma, mar, Mardi Gras, ménage à trois, mirepoix, moire, nam pla, Navarre, noir, objet d'art, pa, pah, Panama, papa, par, Pará, Paraná, pas, pâté de foie gras, peau-de-soie, pietà, Pinot Noir, pooh-bah, poult-de-soie, pya, rah, registrar, Saar, Salazar, Sana'a, sang-froid, scar, schwa, Seychellois, shah, Shangri-La, shikar, ska, sol-fa, spa, spar, star, Starr, Stranraer, ta, tahr, tar, tartare, tata, tra-la, tsar, Twa, Villa, voilà, waratah, yah
In a jarring state; unharmonious.
- What seems ajar is the loving family's refusal to acknowledge her boyfriend and her acceptance of this, albeit resentful.
- I wonder at my life, it seems ajar. Is it so bad to long for relationship? Will He grant me kindred heart fellowship?
- We, as human beings, tend to dismiss something as soon as one small piece seems AJAR!!!
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan