- An East Asian climbing shrub with purplish flowers and deeply divided leaves.
More example sentences
- Genus Akebia, family Lardizabalaceae
- Fiveleaf akebia is a vigorous vine that grows as a groundcover and climbs shrubs and trees by twining.
- This one is now busily threading its way through the established akebia, sharing the same arbor.
- Fiveleaf akebia is deciduous in cooler climates but may remain evergreen in the warmer regions, such as Louisiana.
1837: modern Latin, coined by J. Decaisne, French botanist, from Japanese akebi.
More definitions of akebiaDefinition of akebia in:
- The US English dictionary