Definition of akinesia in English:
noun[mass noun] Medicine
Loss or impairment of the power of voluntary movement.
- Slowness - bradykinesia (slow movement) and akinesia (inability to move) are common in people with Parkinson's disease.
- This is a hypokinetic disorder characterized by hypokinesia or akinesia, rigidity, and a rhythmic fine tremor at the rate of 3-6 cycles per second.
- An echocardiogram excluded major pericardial effusion, showing a non-dilated left ventricle with inferior wall akinesia and overall moderate function.
mid 19th century: from Greek akinēsia 'quiescence', from a- 'without' + kinēsis 'motion'.
- Example sentences
- Conversely, they may be fully conscious but feel that they don't want to do anything at all - akinetic mutism.
- In the absence of Behcet's disease, intracardiac thrombus is often found to overlie an akinetic myocardial segment.
- In more derived snakes, most of the occipital elements are fused, forming essentially the only akinetic structure in the skull.
Definition of akinesia in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan