- (In Indian music) the improvised section of a raga, forming a prologue to the formal expression.More example sentences
- Like in other Indian classical forms, the alaap is the entry point to the raga.
- During the alap (slow introductory movement) of ‘Shuddha Sarang,’ she displays a delightfully elaborate style, filled with entrancing slides and whining drones.
- This gliding technique allows him to play alap, the slow improvised invocation of a raga.
from Hindi alāp.
More definitions of alapDefinition of alap in:
- The US English dictionary