adjectiveBotany & Entomology
- (Chiefly of insects or seeds) having wings or wing-like appendages.More example sentences
- Some possess wide ‘wings,’ or alate lamellae, while in other species the lamellae fold into delicate spines.
- Adult shells of both C. syringothyriformis and species of Regelia are large with alate cardinal extremities and large nearly catacline ventral interareas.
- Ventral valve most strongly convex posteriorly, ventral deflection beginning at about 6 mm from beak, becoming slightly alate, but not preserved on anterior portion of valve.
mid 17th century: from Latin alatus, from ala 'wing'.
More definitions of alateDefinition of alate in:
- The US English dictionary