noun (plural albedos)chiefly Astronomy
- The proportion of the incident light or radiation that is reflected by a surface, typically that of a planet or moon: the lunar maria have a lower albedo than the surrounding terrainMore example sentences
- Taking characteristic values for the average albedo (the fraction of sunlight reflected), size limits could be calculated.
- These aerosols are reflective and increase the albedo of the planet.
- As more and more snow and ice accumulates year on year, so the reflectivity or albedo of the surface is increased, causing summer sunshine to have even less impact and accelerating the growth of ice sheets and glaciers.
mid 19th century: ecclesiastical Latin, 'whiteness', from Latin albus 'white'.
More definitions of albedoDefinition of albedo in:
- The US English dictionary