noun (plural albinos)
- He walks up next to him holding hands with her, a girl of her height who is a total albino, with white skin and hair, and pink eyes.
- For those who want to go on and argue this I will refer you to lack of skin pigmentation in albinos.
- It was a mutation; White was almost completely an albino, the skin on his body almost devoid of pigment.
- Several chromosomal abnormalities were observed in the tetraploid albino plants.
- The alb1 mutation is recessive and homozygous albino plants are white and die at the seedling stage.
- Occasionally, the regeneration of albino plants was observed, however, at very low ratios: 0 to 0.1 per embryogenic callus.
- Example sentences
- Though writer Kelly Milner Halls does a more than competent job of explaining how normal albinism is, page after page of red-eyed mice and bunnies is still totally icky.
- Claire has albinism, a genetic condition which affects the body's production of melanin, the chemical that gives colour to hair, skin and eyes.
- Many are still unsettling - albinism often causes problems with the eyes and many of the portraits show this distinctly - but the revulsion/attraction finally stills to a quiet ‘okay’.
album from early 17th century:
The Latin word albus ‘white’ was originally used as a noun meaning ‘a white (or rather blank) marble tablet’ on which public notices were written. Brought into English as album, the word has subsequently been used to describe various blank books used for compiling a collection of items, such as stamps or photographs, and in the 1950s became applied to a collection of recorded pieces of music. Other alb- words with an element of whiteness in their meaning include albino (late 18th century), albumen (late 16th century), the white of the egg, and Albion. See also auburn, candid
Words that rhyme with albinobambino, babycino, beano, Borodino, Borsalino, cappuccino, casino, chino, Comino, concertino, Filipino, fino, Gino, keno, Ladino, Latino, Leno, maraschino, merino, Monte Cassino, Navarino, neutrino, Pacino, palomino, pecorino, Reno, San Marino, Sansovino, Torino, Trevino, Valentino, vino, Zeno
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: al¦bino
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.