- A magistrate or mayor in a Spanish, Portuguese, or Latin American town.More example sentences
- Every locality as well has its municipal head of government, its alcalde, or - where a village has become a dependency of a larger seat in the municipality - an alcalde pedáneo (dependent mayor).
- Based on information from injured victims, relatives, neighbors, and witnesses, the local alcaldes or, in larger villages, their equivalent corregidores/justicias mayores, soon undertook the investigation of the crimes.
- Observing that the alcalde held his post by the grace of General Wood, Hanna threatened him with replacement and even more dire consequences ‘If we do not find the body within three hours.’
mid 16th century: Spanish, from Arabic al-qāḍī 'the judge' (see cadi).
More definitions of alcaldeDefinition of alcalde in:
- The US English dictionary