- 1Containing or relating to alcohol: alcoholic liquorMore example sentences
- Alcohol stimulates candida growth, so avoid wine, beer, hard alcoholic drinks, fermented apple cider and root beer.
- The meal is served with akevitt (strong distilled alcoholic drink) and beer.
- Alcari was a strong mixture of alcoholic drinks and distilled milk.
- 1.1Caused by the excessive consumption of alcohol: alcoholic liver diseaseMore example sentences
- In England and Wales there are around 9,000 admissions to hospital each year from alcoholic liver disease and 800 deaths in patients under the age of 45.
- Between 1997 and 2004, rates of alcoholic liver disease rocketed by 41%.
- They are viral infections; alcoholic liver disease; drug induced Hepatitis.
- 2Suffering from alcoholism: his alcoholic daughter was the cause of his anxietyMore example sentences
- She's pushing 83 and having to parent her alcoholic daughter all over again.
- A success in her career, who's the product of a broken home, the daughter of an alcoholic philanderer.
- She describes her youth in Sligo as chaotic, being the daughter of alcoholic parents.
nounBack to top
- A person suffering from alcoholism.More example sentences
dipsomaniac, drunk, drunkard, heavy/hard/serious drinker, problem drinker, drinker, alcohol-abuser, alcohol addict, person with a drink problem; tippler, sot, toper, inebriate, imbiberUS • informal juiceheadAustralian/New Zealand hophead, metho
- The vast majority of amnesic patients are chronic alcoholics, suffering from Korsakoff's syndrome.
- Drug addicts, alcoholics, bulimics, anorexics, and sex addicts line up to claim social causes of their problems.
- Since its foundation AA has helped hundreds of suffering alcoholics to achieve daily sobriety.