noun[mass noun] Chemistry
- A viscous liquid obtained when acetaldehyde dimerizes in dilute alkali or acid.
More example sentences
- Chemical formula: CH3CH(OH)CH2CHO
- The simplest aldol - CH 3 CHOHCH 2 CHO - is produced from ethanal.
- The most useful mixed Aldols are those where only one reactent can form an enolate.
- Aldols are bifunctional molecules possessing OH and C=O groups, which are able to act as both hydrogen donors and/or acceptors.
late 19th century: from al(dehyde) + -ol.
More definitions of aldolDefinition of aldol in:
- The US English dictionary