noun[mass noun] Biochemistry
- A corticosteroid hormone which stimulates absorption of sodium by the kidneys and so regulates water and salt balance.More example sentences
- Progesterone also increases sodium and water excretion in females because of competition between progesterone and aldosterone, a kidney hormone that regulates water balance.
- These hormones include adrenaline, norepinephrine, aldosterone and corticosteroids (cortisone).
- The liver is involved in the metabolism and breakdown of many hormones (eg, estrogen, testosterone, aldosterone, thyroid hormones) and vitamin D.
More definitions of aldosteroneDefinition of aldosterone in:
- The US English dictionary