Definition of aliasing in English:
1 Physics & Telecommunications The misidentification of a signal frequency, introducing distortion or error: high-frequency sounds are prone to aliasing
More example sentences
- Analog signals are usually low-pass filtered to remove most or all of the components above the Nyquist frequency in order to avoid aliasing.
- Optical signals were low-pass filtered at 500 Hz to prevent aliasing.
- Any component of a sampled signal with a frequency above this limit is subject to aliasing.
2 Computing The use of aliases to designate files, commands, addresses, or other items.
- As mentioned earlier, the host machine assumes multiple IP addresses using IP aliasing.
- Members of the system pay £3 a month for free reception and transmission of internet mail, mail forwarding and mail aliasing.
- Groff also allows for the aliasing of troff commands, macros and variables to provide alternative names for existing ones.
3 Computing The distortion of a reproduced image so that curved or inclined lines appear inappropriately jagged, caused by the mapping of a number of points to the same pixel.
- A rasterized image of the view from the light's position was rendered, and sampling errors occurred, including jagged edges and aliasing.
- The visual transfer is clear and colorful, but vertical lines still demonstrate some aliasing (they often look like stair steps).
- Otherwise, the graphics are smooth and free of annoying graphical glitches like glaring aliasing or slowdown.
Definition of aliasing in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan