Definition of alicyclic in English:
Relating to or denoting organic compounds which combine cyclic structure with aliphatic properties, e.g. cyclohexane and other saturated cyclic hydrocarbons. Compare with aromatic.
- Its solubility is very high in polar organic solvents as well as in benzene but it is only sparingly soluble in aliphatic or alicyclic organic solvents like hexane and cyclohexane.
- Among the 4800 constituents of tobacco smoke, researchers have identified more than 100 alkanes, 150 alkenes and 55 alicyclic hydrocarbons.
- The alicyclic compounds have one or more rings.
nounBack to top
An alicyclic compound.
- The characteristic that distinguishes benzene from the aliphatics and alicyclics, and that defines the aromatics, is the arrangement of electrons in the ring.
- They are immiscible with many organic solvents, particularly linear hydrocarbons and alicyclics like cyclopentane.
- The further separation yielded 12 fractions containing aliphatic and alicyclic, 24 containing aromatic and 1 containing nitrogen, sulphur and oxygen containing compounds (NSO fraction).
Definition of alicyclic in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan