Definition of aliterate in English:
Unwilling to read, although able to do so: this generation is not illiterate but aliterate
More example sentences
- That's a problem because the point of McGruder's style of pop-cultural subversion is to get the revolutionary message into the minds of the unthinking, aliterate media consumer.
- But, from whichever direction it is approached, the same gulf lies between literate and aliterate minds.
- Aliterate children can read, but they tend to avoid the activity.
nounBack to top
An aliterate person.
- Lots of aliterates, according to Trelease, say they just don't have time to read anymore.
- Our literacy rate falls year by year, and even many who can read do not read, the so-called aliterates.
- Through a national program called The Big Read, the NEA is committing resources to motivate aliterates to read again.
- Example sentences
- At a time when the nation is plagued more by aliteracy than literacy - that is, an apathy to reading rather than the inability - we continue to advocate for reading as both an essential part of our culture, and an endangered one.
- Analyze current literacy and aliteracy culture trends affecting all readers in K - 12 content classrooms.
- It provides a reference for educators to determine causes of aliteracy and gives guidelines to reach students.
Definition of aliterate in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.