- A Eurasian plant of the borage family, typically having a hairy stem and blue flowers.
More example sentences
- Anchusa and other genera, family Boraginaceae: several species, including the European A. officinalis
- Old English names are (dyer's) alkanet and orcanet.
- She might have finished the look with saffron eye shadow and lip balm tinted with ocher and alkanet root.
- A fine color is obtained by previously washing the alkanet with water and then thoroughly drying it before suspending it in the fat or oil.
Middle English: from colloquial Arabic al-ḥannat (classical Arabic al-ḥinnā') 'the henna shrub'.