- 1Possessing qualities characteristic of US ideals, such as honesty, industriousness, and health: his all-American wholesomenessMore example sentences
- It was the only sour note in an otherwise blissful campaign visit that provided him with the ideal all-American backdrop to answer the latest attack on his presidential credibility.
- Tall and outgoing, he comes with curly hair, a fondness for motorcycles, and a no-frills, all-American manner, a quality you see in his dancing.
- While the company may upset parents with their risque ads and catalog, they still consider it to be a quality brand with an all-American style.
- 2Drawn only from America or the US: an all-American anthologyMore example sentences
- Made in America, with an all-American crew and cast, this dud was never released at cinemas.
- Indeed, they are principally involved with an all-American dispute between the company and its two former employees.
- T-Mobile is the only all-American team here, but there are a handful of Americans dispersed on different teams.
- 2.1Involving or representing the whole of America or the US: an all-American finalMore example sentences
- Surely this all-American final would be better, surely Davenport would give Williams a run for her money.
- It may have been an all-American showdown but there was only one American the crowd wanted to see in the final.
- Harada took his 68-kilogram category with ease, and he used the tournament to wrestle his way into another all-American performance at the NAIA national championship final.
- 2.2 (also all-America) US (Of a sports player) honoured as one of the best amateur competitors in the US: an all-American wrestlerMore example sentences
- And nobody understands it better than Paul, the point guard who was voted to the preseason all-America team.
- His favourite sport was American Football, though, and he was twice voted on to an all-America team.
- He said he'd been called a cum laude student and an all-American player.
nounBack to top
- (also all-America) US A sports player honoured as one of the best amateurs in the US.More example sentences
- Dave had motored to the final with straight-set wins over John Musto and Richard Chin, the No. 1 players and four-time first-team all-Americans in the Class of '91 at Yale and Cornell respectively.
- We have two returning all-American pitchers; they're both second team all-Americans.
- At midfield, Downey must deal with the graduation of Harry Binning and the loss of two USLIA all-Americans.
More definitions of all-AmericanDefinition of all-American in:
- The US English dictionary