- 1Diminish or put at rest (fear, suspicion, or worry): the report attempted to educate the public and allay fearsMore example sentences
reduce, diminish, decrease, lessen, assuage, alleviate, ease, relieve, soothe, soften, take the edge off, dull, cushion, mollify, moderate, calm, lull, temper, mitigate, palliate, blunt, deaden, abate, tone down; dispel, banish, dismiss, dissipate, drive away, drive off, chase away, put to rest, quell, check, eliminate• rare lenify
- The President and his family, in an attempt to allay public fears, got shots on prime-time television.
- So the industry was co-funding a £7 million research programme to try to allay public fears.
- Fearful of being accused of complacency, they fail to allay public fears and often play up hypothetical risks.
- 1.1Relieve or alleviate (pain or hunger): some stale figs partly allayed our hungerMore example sentences
- Our long association has taught me that confiding in others allays pain.
- It allays a feverish thirst that had parched me for many days.
- Rahul did not look at Sanjeet as he wielded the leather crop, but shut his eyes and rolled his head from side to side, slack-mouthed, pain allayed.
Old English ālecgan 'lay down or aside'.