Definition of allergy in English:
noun (plural allergies)
1A damaging immune response by the body to a substance, especially a particular food, pollen, fur, or dust, to which it has become hypersensitive.
- Symptoms of a food allergy usually develop within about an hour after eating the offending food.
- A common skin symptom of a food allergy is hives, or raised red itchy bumps on the skin.
- Symptoms of mild food allergies, such as a rash or runny nose, may be treated with antihistamines.
1.1 informal A strong dislike: their allergy to free enterprise
More example sentences
- Liberals also need to get over their allergy to the cleanest form of energy, nuclear power.
- Or they could have a combination of any of these with a severe allergy to math tables.
- If they achieve support because of their allergy to ID cards, then many people must have a lot to hide.
Words that rhyme with allergyanalogy, genealogy, hypallage, metallurgy, mineralogy, tetralogy
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan