noun (plural allergies)
- Symptoms of a food allergy usually develop within about an hour after eating the offending food.
- A common skin symptom of a food allergy is hives, or raised red itchy bumps on the skin.
- Symptoms of mild food allergies, such as a rash or runny nose, may be treated with antihistamines.
- Liberals also need to get over their allergy to the cleanest form of energy, nuclear power.
- Or they could have a combination of any of these with a severe allergy to math tables.
- If they achieve support because of their allergy to ID cards, then many people must have a lot to hide.
Early 20th century: from German Allergie, from Greek allos 'other', on the pattern of Energie 'energy'.
There is a notion of something ‘alien’ present in allergy which comes from German Allergie, from Greek allos ‘other’. It was formed on the pattern of German Energie ‘energy’.
Words that rhyme with allergyanalogy, genealogy, hypallage, metallurgy, mineralogy, tetralogy
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: al|lergy
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.